Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy


I have had some recent developments with my congestive heart failure and the course of treatment is still in the early stages. Since diagnosis in November 2008, there has been 2 major episodes of fluid build up around my heart. My doctor has quadrupled the amount of lasiks I take everyday and added Digoxin to my daily regimen. At my most recent appointment, my doctor suggested that I go ahead and have a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted fairly soon. (As soon as the $$ is available) I was not quite ready to hear that actually, because when he diagnosed me 6 months ago, he felt as though that device wouldn't be needed for years. I guess I am progressing faster than we initially thought.

The following is some information about a possible implant that I will be getting sometime in the next few months. I'll post later about the specific device we choose, surgery times and next course of treatment.
Until then.... happy reading.


What Is a Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Device?

If your heart is not beating efficiently and you meet the eligibility criteria,
you may be eligible for a cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) heart device.
A CRT device sends small, undetectable electrical impulses to both lower chambers of the heart to help them beat together in a more synchronized pattern.

This improves the heart's ability to pump blood and oxygen to the body.
The heart device itself is actually a tiny computer, plus a battery, contained in a small titanium metal case that is about the size of a pocket watch. It weighs about 3 ounces.

A cardiac resynchronization therapy device is designed to treat heart failure
In addition to the heart device, insulated wires called leads are implanted for two purposes: to carry information signals from your heart to the heart device, and to carry electrical impulses to your heart.

The third part of your implantable device system is a programmer, an external computer located in your doctor's office or clinic that is used to program the heart device and retrieve information from your heart device that will assist your doctor in your heart failure treatment.
There are two types of implantable heart failure heart devices: a CRT pacemaker and a combination CRT pacemaker with defibrillation therapy. Both of these devices help to coordinate the heart's pumping action and improve blood flow. They can also speed up a heart that is beating too slowly.

The CRT pacemaker with defibrillation therapy (CRT-D) also offers the ability to detect and treat dangerously fast heart rhythms, which some individuals with a damaged heart muscle may be at risk for developing. Your doctor will determine which CRT device is appropriate for your medical condition.

2 comments:

Lynnie said...

Well, I guess we should just be thankful that someone out there invented the defibrillator to help people like us out! It sounds like this device might actually help your heart function better, which is a huge plus. In my case, it is just there if I have a rapid heartbeat, but it doesn't actually make my heart function better or become stronger.

I was surprised that it did take a week or so to feel like I could function normally, even though they say you can go back to work in a day!!!! Didn't Dick Cheney get one implanted as a same day surgery???? Be sure you have a few good people looking in at you and bringing you food! If I lived closer I would totally make you a couple casseroles!

darlin said...

Medicine today is amazing, I have TIPS inplanted in my liver and today I am alive because of it. TIPS stands for Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt, you can google it if you'd like to know some of what I've been through and today, three and a half years later, I am doing just fine.

Today I leave it all up to God, and life has never been so wonderful! I turn my life and my will over to the care of God, and I see what happens next, as they say in AA, "Let go and let God" although for some reason I believe that God does have plenty of angels watching over you!

God bless and I will keep you in my prayers.